Slow install of Ruby 18 from ports

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 13 23:37:32 PDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Olivier Nicole <on at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
> > I don't know why. I'm running DNS server on old Celeron 400Mhz with
> > 96MB RAM just fine. Why do you think you need Xeon dual core for that?
>
> Of course I don't, and won't.
>
> I was just replying to the guy that told me that I am using archaic
> hardware and that it makes building ruby slow.
>
> I do use a number of PIII servers (more than Xeon) and am very happy
> with them.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to aggravate you in any way. PIII is not
archaic, but it's certainly old. Nevertheless, we've got a number
of PIII boxes in production, and even some older Cyrix ones in
our lab - and are quite happy with them.

Old hardware is just a half of the deadly recipe. The other half
is old FreeBSD. Again, we've got one dual PIII box running
FreeBSD 4.7 - under very heavy load with no issues. YMMV,
but I would upgrade to 6.1 or 6.2 all the same.