Newbie Experience

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Wed Sep 13 23:49:19 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 08:40, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2006, at 12:29 AM, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> >
> > In fact, as I discovered a few days ago (after all, how often does
> > one read tar(1)'s manpage?), you only need to use -z and -j when
> > creating a tar archive. bsdtar(1) recognises bzip2 and gzip
> > compression on reading an archive and handles them automatically.
>
> old habits die hard
>
> :-0

Exactly. I wondered, when I saw the entry in tar(1)'s manpage, how many other
little tricks I don't know because I just do it the old way. If I ever get a
supply of tuits (round ones are best, apparently), I might start re-reading
the documentation for things I already know how to do, just to find out what
I'm missing.

Jonathan