Making startup order static

Duane Hill d.hill at yournetplus.com
Sun Sep 10 15:07:13 PDT 2006

On Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 9:46:13 PM, White confabulated:

> --- Duane Hill <d.hill at yournetplus.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> I also had the same scenario with order in startup.
>> That was rectified
>> by setting up one script to start each of the items
>> in order.

> I am assuming that you removed the scripts that you
> called from the rc.d directory. What transpired when
> you updated a program? Assuming it created a file in
> rc.d, you then had to manually remove it correct?

No.  I  believe  I  used the startup script for sa-spamd as a starting
point.  I'm sure others could be used as a starting point as well. I'm
still  in  the learning process. That way I could remove the ones from
the rc.conf that I wanted to start in order and use the 'force' option
when loading them from the custom startup script.

So,  as  an example, if you do not have a 'spamd="YES"' in the rc.conf
and  you  attempt  to start spamd from the console, it will not start.
That  is  because  of  the  sa-spamd startup script. If you attempt to
start  spamd from the console and supply 'force start', it will start.
Therefore,  in my startup script I left it out of the rc.conf and used
the 'force start' in my custom startup script.

--
"This message was sent using 100% recycled electrons."