Making startup order static

Duane Hill d.hill at yournetplus.com
Sun Sep 10 12:26:08 PDT 2006

On Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 7:02:09 PM, White confabulated:

> --- Martin Werner <bsdml at werner.st> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> thought about using PROVIDE and REQUIRE keywords
>> (see
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/clamav-clamd.sh resp.
>> clamav-freshclam.sh
>>
>> Maybe you might want to have a look into "man rc" or
>> "man rcorder"
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   -Martin-
>>
>> > FreeBSD 6.1
>> >
>> > I need to keep several programs starting in a
>> > particular order.
>>
>> > clamav-clamd
>> > clamav-freshclam
>> > clamsmtpd
>> > saslauthd
>> > dovecot
>> > postfix
>> > fetchmail
>>
>> > By default, they do not start in that order. I
> have
>> > modified the rc.d files to force them to start in
>> > the
>> > order specified above.
>> <
>> > The problem is that every time I update these
>> > programs
>> > the rc.d startup file is modified which destroys
> the
>> > changes I have made. This then requires me to
>> > recreate
>> > the modifications to force the start up order I
>> > require.
>> >
>> > Is there anyway I can achieve this goal in a
>> > simplified manner? I thought perhaps there might
> be
>> > something I could add to the /etc/rc.conf file;
>> > however, I have not discovered it.

> Martin, I don't think that you understood what I
> meant. Either that or I described it incorrectly.

> I did modify the rc.d files using BEFORE: and
> REQUIRE:. That works just fine. The problem is if one
> of those files is updated, the rc.d file is
> overwritten resulting in the loss of my customization.
> I therefore have to manually edit those files again. I
> was trying to find someway to circumvent that
> procedure.

J.D. Bronson took the words from my fingers.

I  have  a  server application that needs the 5.0 compatibility loaded
running  on  our 6.0 server. Once compat5x was installed via the port,
the  startup  script  that  was  placed within /usr/local/etc/rc.d had
'000.'  prepended to its name to ensure it was loaded before anything.
I.e. 000.compat5x.sh.

I also had the same scenario with order in startup. That was rectified
by setting up one script to start each of the items in order.

--
"This message was sent using 100% recycled electrons."