script help

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Sep 5 14:08:39 PDT 2006

--On Tuesday, September 05, 2006 11:16:26 -0700 ann kok
<annkok2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I would like to ask script question
>
> 1/ if i use the script to run within 1 minute, I can't
> run it in the cronjob. how can I run this script
> automatically?

I don't understand what you mean here.  Are you asking how to run a cronjob
more than once a minute?

> 2/ I have file "file.txt" as below, there are two
> fields.
>
> 4 999
> 10 200
> 15 400
> 60 900
>
> I write "awk script" to exact field 2 if the field 1
> less than 10 and put it in the file "result.txt". but
> i am not successful!
>
> awk '{
>                     if ($1 > 10)
> $2="this is result $2 when the feild 1 less than 10"
> }' < file.txt > result.txt
>
> result.txt
>
> this is result $2 when the feild 1 less than 10
> this is result $2 when the feild 1 less than 10
>

> but i would like the result as
>
> this is result 999 when the feild 1 less than 10
> this is result 200 when the feild 1 less than 10

awk '{
                     if ($1 > 10)
$2="this is result "$2" when the feild 1 less than 10"
 }' < file.txt > result.txt

If you want awk to return the value of $2, don't quote it.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/