Best gigabit network interface for FreeBSD?

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Sun Sep 3 15:19:36 PDT 2006

Was going to post this to net@, but figured I'd get a bigger
audience and better answers on this list. (Please copy responses to
me as well as the list to make sure I see them.)

I'm building a machine which is going to have very high network
loads, but can't really use a TCP/IP "accelerator" because much of
the traffic won't be TCP. What, as of now, is the most capable
gigabit Ethernet interface for FreeBSD? Which has the cleanest,
simplest driver? The most onboard buffer space to prevent overruns
and underruns? The fastest bus interface? The least interrupt
overhead (important because interrupts in FreeBSD 6.x are
relatively expensive)? I have some Intel "em" interfaces available
to me, but have been told that while the driver is well supported
they are quirky and not the best choice.

--Brett Glass