FreeBSD 6 freeze

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 05:16:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:26:47PM +0100, Paul Beckers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently tried to install FreeBSD 6.1 with a custom kernel that
> comprises support for PF and ALTQ, but is basicly a copy of the GENERIC
> kernel shipped with the install CD. I also ran CVSup to get the newest
> release of the source that stated after compilation that it would like to be
> called 6.2 prerelease. After heading to user applications like apache,
> mysql, isc-dhcpd, samba and postfix, I noticed when I came back my
> screensaver had stalled and the pc wouldn't respond to any inputs anymore.
> It was a complete lockup and before this install with FreeBSD 4 and FreeBSD
> 5 I never had this problem on this box.
>
> In the mean while I've tried my install with two other boxes and both of
> them ended up having the same failure. I've posted a thread on bsdforums
> regarding this matter with my kernel config and some of my logfiles
> attached, to be found here:
> http://www.freebsdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38765.
>
> As I haven't got any clue on where and what to look for, it would be
> helpfull to get suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

Hi Paul,

I'm not a kernel hacker or anything like it but some of the guys on
freebsd-stable might be able to help you with your problem. Hence,
I've cc'd this reply to there.

It's probably a more appropriate forum than questions for your
problem. Or rather one where you more likely to get an answer.

You're running stable if it says 6.2 prerelease.

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'

                      --->PGP keyID: 0x10BD6F4B<---