non-ATA66 cable?

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Sun Oct 22 14:49:47 UTC 2006

On Oct 21, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:

>>> Lite-On says "Supported transfer mode : PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
>>> and Ultra DMA mode 2", so is there something I should do to my
>>> FreeBSD to make this device happier?
>>
>> Try a different cable?
>
> It's not going to come up faster than UDMA33....and even if it did
> UDMA33 is far faster than a DVD burner.

Duh! My goof. I see that now. UDMA 2 is 33 Mbytes/sec. It is doing
what Lite-On says it will do.  :-(

> What sort of write performance are you getting?

growisofs peaks at 7.9x but averages 3.9. Buffers stay at 100% but
for a rare 99%. Generally see 5 MB/sec using "systat -v". My concern
is during writes the drive sound varies, presumably the disc speed as
well. Discs verify and play correctly after. Maybe I shouldn't worry.

I haven't found any better way to verify a burned image than
"cmp /dev/dvd image.iso". Open to suggestions. When successful this
method reports "EOF on image.iso" as apparently there is more data on
the dvd. The original image is a multiple of 2048, so its not that.

The Apple-labeled PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D in my Mac Pro (its sweet!)
screams at 16x under MacOS X. One constant note during the entire
burn. Seems to verify at 8x. Same media as used in the Lite-On.

Will have to pull the Lite-On and put it in a Windows machine if I am
to flash the firmware to the latest.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net