tao.thought.org is back.....

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Oct 19 20:16:41 UTC 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
>> You can override MX prioritization by using a mailertable.
>>
>> But you will need to list IP addresses in square brackets to disable
>> MX lookups and force other MX hosts to relay mail to where-ever you
>> want.  Therefore, the simple answer is to make sure that the final
>> destination for email to your domain is listed as the highest-
>> priority MX record (ie, lowest numeric MX value).
>>
>> And you will either need to masquarade for your domain, or you will
>> need to list all of the hostnames for which email is being addressed
>> to in class w (aka /etc/mail/local-host-names) on the mailserver
>> which performs local delivery....
>
> 	Solunds like a win.. hopefully.   Can you sent me the mailtable
> 	that I might use to have "kline at thought.org" goto zen.thought.org
> 	and zivic at thought.org be forwarded to ns1.thought.org, and
> 	grzegorz at thought.org be sent to ethos.thought.org?

Nope.  What you've asked for now is different than what you
originally asked for; if you don't want email for all users
@thought.org to be delivered locally on one machine, that's a
different problem, and it cannot be solved with a mailertable alone.
If it is only a few users, consider setting up .forward files.

Otherwise, you will have to set up a virtusertable instead, by adding:

   FEATURE(`virtusertable')dnl
   VIRTUSER_DOMAIN(`thought.org')dnl

...in your sendmail.mc, and then create /etc/mail/virtusertable with
something like:

   kline at thought.org	kline at zen.thought.org
   zivic at thought.org	zivic at ns1.thought.org
   grzegorz at thought.org	grzegorz at ethos.thought.org

...and do a "make maps" in /etc/mail, or run:

/usr/sbin/makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db < /etc/mail/
virtusertable

Note that splitting delivery within a domain like this is generally
undesirable compared with setting up a central mailhost and using
IMAP to read the mail from the clients, rather than trying to deliver
mail to individual client machines.  Because if you want to deliver
to these individual client machines, you need to set up mail on all
of them, and make sure your DNS entries are right, preferably by
creating MX records for each new mailserver, etc...

> 	Is there ay way of testing this after I have set up my table
> 	entries?  In other words, how do I re-initialize things without
> 	having to  (ugh) *reboot*.

Of course you can restart sendmail without having to reboot...

--
-Chuck