I am such a fool! How to recover my data?

Mad Timekeeper junkmail at blackhole.happy-fish.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 23:50:05 PDT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:53:14 +0200, Kyrre Nygård
<kyrreny at broadpark.no> wrote:

I'm no FreeBSD expert... yet - so I would revert to Windows.  So this
is what I would do:

1. Use whatever software I can lay my hands on to make a full copy of
the disk (your disk 1, I think), e.g. Norton Ghost or DriveImage.
That way, if you screw up the recovery, you still have another copy
and another chance.  Running those utilities may result in some error
messgaes if the partition table is screwed up - if so STOP, and don't
agree to make any changes - seek advice bfore making any changes.

2. Then I would get the full details of the partition table as it is
now.  In my case I would use Norton's utility ptedit.exe, which you
can download from their ftp site.  You'll need to make a windows boot
floppy (or CD if you don't have a floppy drive) and run ptedit.exe
from that.

3.  Then report back with the details.  It may be simple or very
difficult!  Also explain how you think the disk was formatted before:
was it just the complete disk as a single NTFS primary partition?

Cheers