What's so compelling about FreeBSD?

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 22:37:42 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 12:35:13AM -0400, Andy Harrison wrote:
> On 10/15/06, William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>So, basically, I'm asking you guys to wow me. :-) Show me how FreeBSD
>can outdo Linux. Make me never want to go back.

Ah well, you have to experience it. No amount of convincing or intellectual gymnastics will help you.

Know that in the software ecosystem there is a place for everything.

There are situations in which you have to use linux and even Windoze.

But things are so vibrant that more and more Windoze apps are available in linux and FreeBSD and also in NetBSD and OpenBSD.

Personally for me linux has very good support for a wide range of TV cards, remote controls and other rare hardware.

BSDs also have support but somewhat limited.

FreeBSD gives you CCD,GEOM,GDBE, netgraph and various other features hard to find in other OSes. Some equivalents exist but not as good.

OpenBSD has very good IPsec , pf , BGP and other networking stuff. pf is also available on FreeBSD but I doubt if it is as well integrated and feature rich as OpenBSD.

Linux has a lousy file system and is somewhat unstable and will throw surprises if you stress it or use it in unexpected ways.

Whereas BSDs have very very good stability. For instance FreeBSD will give roughly 20 to 30% better overall performance compared to Linux. This is subjective and dependent on various factors but this has been my experience.

In terms of packages FreeBSD I think has the largest number since it can emulate linux binaries too.

I can go on but I suggest you try things with an open mind.

If you like it, stick to it , else go back.

Nobody is forcing you.

But remember, give it enough time and be open.

regards,
Girish