Compatibility Between Releases Policy

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Oct 5 00:19:08 PDT 2006

Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Where is the policy regarding compatibility between releases documented?
>
> I recall reading once upon a time that FreeBSD won't break compatibility
> for the duration of a major point release.  If a third party wrote
> software for 6.0 it would be perfectly compatible with 6.1, 6.2 and on.
>
> The reason I ask is that I am considering the wisdom of running
> portupgraed with each minor point release.

I don't think you can rely on POLA for ports. But for the base system,
the developers try to stick to the Principle Of Least Astonishment, in
particular across minor version numbers.

Chears, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt