USB IrDA Adapter

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Mon Oct 2 02:14:31 PDT 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 13:58, Luchezar Petkov wrote:

> I really need your help. I've just brought my first USB IrDA
> adapter to conncect my phone (Sony Ericsson K300i) to my computer.
> It is recognized by FreeBSD (6.2 beta 1) ::
> ugen0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller, rev
> 1.10/3.00, addr 2
> --
> addr 1: OHCI root hub, SiS
> uhub1
> addr 2: USB-Serial Controller, Prolific Technology Inc.
> ugen0
>
> And... What to do now? How to take the pictures from my photo
> camera? How to put files on my phone? I don't know what to do..
> Any ideas?

It sounds like the adapter is trying to present itself as a serial port. The
Prolific Technology USB-Serial controller needs the uplcom(4) driver either
compiled into the kernel or loaded as a module.

Try (as root)

kldload uplcom

and then plugging your adapter in. You should see a message about ucom rather
than ugen, and the devices should be something like

/dev/ttyU0
/dev/cuaU0

as the tty and callout devices for the adapter.

Jonathan