NTPD not keeping time

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 12:16:25 PST 2006

--- Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Kris Anderson wrote:
> > I first ran ntpdate from /etc/rc.d/ntpdate and
> that
> > set the date and time.
>
> Good.  That should have gotten your clock reasonably
> sync'ed.
>
> > Then I ran /etc/rc.d/ntpd and that started up
> fine.
> >
> > The followind day I find that the system still
> thinks
> > it is the previous day and such.
> >
> > I thought the purpose of ntp was to keep the time
> > correct, why would it be off?
>
> NTPd does a good job of keeping the clock synced if
> properly
> configured, so there is likely to be something wrong
> with your
> specific circumstances.  What does "ntpq -p" show?
>
> --
> -Chuck

Here's the output from ntpq.

webdev# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach
 delay   offset  jitter
 time-a.nist.gov .ACTS.           1 u  485 1024  377
78.454  4307608 923174.
 india.colorado. .ACTS.           1 u  491 1024  377
22.918  4307064 922326.
 lerc-dns.grc.na .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0
 0.000    0.000 4000.00