Spam prevention

Peter N. M. Hansteen peter at bsdly.net
Wed Nov 29 23:18:53 PST 2006

> To fight spam, is spamassassin the best choice or should I look into
> something else ?

Spamassassin works.  If you have Microsoft machines in your setup, you
probably want clamav (antivirus) or similar as well.  And finally, do
look into running some sort of greylisting (possibly supplemented with
a tarpit for known bad senders).

The greylisting/tarpitting part is really easy to do with PF, see eg
http://home.nuug.no/~peter/pf/en/spamd.html (part of my packet
filtering for fun and profit tutorial)

20:11:56 delilah spamd[26905]: 146.151.48.74: disconnected after 36099 seconds