Suggested Books & Guides on small bisiness LAN with FreeBSD

wmc20 at bellsouth.net wmc20 at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 29 12:52:16 PST 2006

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice or suggestions on how to [re]design a small business network with FreeBSD.  I know that's a pretty broad topic -- I'm not looking for a simple answer, so much as reference materials.

Background:  for over 5 years we've had our business running with a few FreeBSD servers.  An external Internet connected box serves smtp, imap, http, ftp, dns (external and LAN internal) and http-proxy.  Another server (on LAN behind NAT router) has Samba file & print services, lpd and some other things.

I guess what I'm looking for is "best practice" suggestions for configuring all this optimally.  Problems we have currently include DNS -- if the Internet connection goes down, the server chokes, and we can't even get internal DNS.  And security issues, eg:  should the email accounts reside on an Internet-exposed server?

O'Reilly sells "Windows to Linux Migration Toolkit" which sounds like some of what I'm looking for, except that it's for Linux -- but I've dabbled with that kludge enough to probably apply the concepts to FreeBSD  ;)  Any other suggestions on good books, web sites, etc?

  -Wayne B.