Quick mail advice / Laptop use

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 07:35:56 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:30:09AM -0000, Graham Bentley wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I noticed that fetchmail created a file mbox but
> Mutt creates a 'Mail' directory however the mail
> seems to download into /var/mail
>
> Mutt asks me on exit to copy to mbox format.
>
> The Mail directory also has only one folder and
> on exit is empty. /var/mail still has copies.
>
> Can anyone clear up my confusions ;
>
> Where should mail be located ?

Depends om what softs you are using. I use qmail, procmail and getmail
so I use Maildirs

> How can I configure a 'sent items' for Mutt?

I don't know what this means. If you want a copy of all your outgoing
then put:

set copy=yes

in .muttrc

> How can I create an address book for Mutt?

touch a file called .mail_aliases in your homedir and fill it with
your addresses, one per line. E.g:

alias b FreeBSD UK <freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org>

Put:

set alias_file=~/.mail_aliases
source .mail_aliases

in .muttrc

You should then be able to mail freebsd-users UK by putting b in the
To: field (it will expand). Or hitting t and then tab will bring up
all your aliases to choose from.

Once you've got a few addresses in .mail_aliases run it through
sort(1) to make it more easily readable.

> I know this would be better on the Mutt list
> but I also know there are some big Mutt fans
> here and asI am trying this on FreeBSD maybe
> more relevent ?

Your best bet is either to join the mutt mailing list or
comp.mail.mutt. This is OT for freebsd-questions.

<snip>

--

 Frank

echo "f r a n k @ e s p e r a n c e - l i n u x . c o . u k" | sed 's/ //g'