mount_smbfs: charset convertion (-E) doesn't work

Zhang Weiwu weiwu at sdf.lonestar.org
Sun Nov 26 18:46:32 PST 2006

Hello. I tried a lot of different methods but I cannot mount a Windows share which is in GB18030 charset to my FreeBSD
host in UTF-8 charset. I always gets junk text.

this process is better illustrated with this screenshot (I don't copy and paste the console text because that way the
junk character in it might confuse email clinets).
gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/I/users/weiwu/mount_chinese_smbshare.png

In the screenshot, I do have mounted the share with -E parameter which should convert GB18030 folder names to UTF-8 but
actually no convertion is done (see the ls | iconv which shows what it should be looking like if the convertion is
done)

Actually I have never succesfully done charset convertion with mount_smbfs, what did I do wrong? -E parameter which

weiwu at sdf.lonestar.org