FreeBSD 6.2: ULE vs 4BSD

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Nov 26 16:30:55 PST 2006

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 12:13:43AM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Sunday 26 November 2006 19:43, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > I think that's a bit strong. I've used both, off and on, on my Desktop
> > > machine and not seen any real difference.
> >
> > Guess you're one of the lucky ones then.  I hope you can understand
> > why in general users should not use a kernel feature with known
> > problems, and they should at the very least turn it off and reconfirm
> > their problems before reporting them, to avoid wasting developer time.
>
> It might save everyone a lot of time if the GENERIC file entry were changed
> to:
>
> #options      SCHED_ULE        # ULE scheduler (experimental)

Better yet, it was removed from GENERIC altogether and a warning added
to the NOTES file:

# SCHED_ULE is a new scheduler that has been designed for SMP and has some
# advantages for UP as well.  It is intended to replace the 4BSD scheduler
# over time.  NOTE: SCHED_ULE is currently considered experimental and is
# not recommended for production use at this time.

Kris