creating a "broken" graid3 array?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu Nov 23 15:10:42 PST 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 17:10, usleepless at gmail.com wrote:
> > is the loss of your data worth less than the cost of an extra hd? if
> > so, buy another hd. if not, make a clean install?
>
> should read:
>   is the cost of an extra hd less than the value of your data/install? if
>   so, buy another hd. if not, make a clean install?

I have backups of the data that can't be reproduced. I just don't have room
for some of the larger files (CD ISO's, DVD rips, etc). It would be
inconvenient to lose the data but far from catastrophic.

One goal of this exercise is to get some redundancy, but at least as
important are the goals of learning more about something I haven't used
before (graid3) and getting a larger volume on a limited budget.

Besides, trickery is where the fun comes in. :)

I appreciate the response, though. It's a point I might have raised myself.

JN