Password Security

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 12:59:01 PST 2006

> Being able to Kensington lock the machine so that it can't be opened
> (thinking of Dells), you can prevent physical access to a large
> degree (only have to worry about people that can screw up the lock),
> and prevent people from taking the drive OR resetting the CMOS
> jumper, giving people access to the BIOS without a password (one
> thing that many people haven't mentioned about security so far).
> -Garrett

Sorry to disappoint you, but Kensington locks can easily be unlocked,
using a toilet paper roll, pen, and tape. We tried this at work
because my collegue protected his flat screen with it, but forgot his
key at home on the day we moved to a new office. We needed a bit
longer, thou...

The video is wmv, but I didn't find a version in another format (but
mplayer can play it): http://www.toool.nl/kensington623.wmv

I wonder if the data on this machine is as sensitive as this thread
suggests it... ;)