Password Security

VeeJay maanjee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 01:45:20 PST 2006

On 11/23/06, Olivier Nicole <on at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:

> > And how can one into the System by booting from a CD if it still
> > requires the Password even in Single User mode?
>
> Booting from CD, floppy or hard disk is slected at BIOS level.
>
> Booting in single or multi user mode is at Operating system level.
>
> Booting is in the following order:
>
> 1) BIOS select what medium to boot from
>
> 2) the operating system boot from the selected medium
>
> So when it comes to the Single user password, itis already at stage 2)
> it has passed the stage 1 (booting from hard disk ofr CD) without
> password.
>
> Olivier

So, it means, that I should take the following steps

1. Password on BIOS
2. Change the order of booting i.e. When system is installed and working
once, then I just the change the Booting FIRST from HardDisk.
3. Put the password on Single User mode.

So, what more? Do you people think that I have got somehow security barrier
for unauthorized access?

--
Thanks!

BR / vj