Mount and repair HD?

David Horis dvdhoris at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 16:14:49 PST 2006

Hi,

Thanks for the tip.  What iso should I get from the freebsd.org site? (5.5 or 6.1?)

The warranty is long expired on this device... I've just popped it open... Looks like it's powered by a Pentium 166. (w/MMX! :) )

I seriously doubt it will act as a boot drive in a PC, as it seems some of the boot code is in NV ram.

Since I am new to *nix, can someone describe the exact command I need to run in order to:

1) Boot the computer w/FreeBSD
2) Figure out if the drive is viewable, and what it is named.
2) Check the drive for errors.
3) Determine what partition on the drive has my data.
4) Copy the data over to a different drive. (Preferably via the network... SMB )

Thank you again,
David

"Tamouh H." <hakmi at rogers.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A Snap Server 1100 just died on me... (Single drive,
> FreeBSD-based, I think...)
>
> I think it's not HD related as I can't even get into to the
> hardware/bios reset mode.
>
> Have you folks ever heard of anyone opening one of these
> things up and mounting the drive on a regular PC?
>
> Since the drive probably has some coruption, due to the MB/OS
> crash, how would I go about fixing those before I mount the
> drive and try to copy off the files?
>
> Since I am not familiar with *nix, can someone point me to a
> walk through on this?   (Is there a FreeBSD live CD I could use?)
>

> Thanks,
> David

These use regular IDE drives so you can plug them to any PC (Note, you're voiding the warranty if you open the box).

If FreeBSD OS is installed on them, the first thing I'd do is try to boot from the HD unless a custom kernel was made.

If this is not bootable drive, just UFS file system, then use FreeBSD Boot CD off freebsd.org to boot the thing and mount the drive according to what the drive is named

e.g. mount /dev/ad1s1a /

Good luck!

Tamouh