Password Security

Russell E. Meek rmeek at rem1tech.com
Tue Nov 21 19:59:10 PST 2006

Quoting VeeJay <maanjee at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> I need to secure my data and server. Any advice will be highly appreciated.
>
> I am going to place my FreeBSD server at a shared place?
>
> I am just afraid that any unauthorized person might boot machine in single
> user mode and steal the data?
> How can I make my Server secure that if if boots in single user mode, it
> still demands the password and without password one cannot do anything?
> or make it possible that booting in Single user mode, doesn't provide any
> shell?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> --
>
> BR / vj

BR,

Edit /etc/ttys and look for the following line:

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
console none                            unknown off secure

Change "secure" to "insecure" (no quotes) this will require the root
password to be entered when booting into Single User Mode.

Thanks,

Russ