Dell - kernel panic problems

andrew at inemy.com andrew at inemy.com
Tue Nov 21 15:11:30 PST 2006

I have a Dell tower that I've installed FreeBSD 6.1.

[andrew at aaa ~]$ uname -a
FreeBSD aaa.wp.comcast.net 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May  7
04:32:43 UTC 2006
root at opus.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
[andrew at aaa ~]$

I have problems with what appears to be kernel panics when accessing the
disk (either reading or writing). This box does nothing at the moment but
wait for me to install and configure something, since it's a test box and
hasn't even made it to live testing yet.

The panics usually happen when installing something via Ports. Today, as I
was running a "make clean", I managed to get this one:

fault virtual address = 0x20000
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x20:0xc083f0dc
stack pointer         = 0x28:0xdeaa3ad0
frame pointer         = 0x28:0xdeaa3ae8
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                      = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = 70455 (rm)
trap number           = 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 1h20m21s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.

Then, while typing this email after the reboot from the panic above, I got
the following:

panic: softdep_deallocate_dependencies: dangling deps
Uptime: 2m4s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.

I'm guessing this happened while fsck was running in the background.

What's the next step toward getting a stable box so I can complete my
software configuration and testing? What other information do I need to
post?

Thanks.