Building Sendmail from ports

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Tue Nov 21 13:38:14 PST 2006

Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 11/22/06, DAve <dave.list at pixelhammer.com> wrote:
>> I am looking into upgrading Sendmail on several
>> machines. Currently we run the installed version
>> of sendmail and I have kept it up to date via
>> security patches. However, in the planning for
>> "what if a Bus hits DAve" scenario I would like
>> to switch to using the ports. It should be easier
>> for those who come behind me later.
>
> I'm sorry but I just can't help it: have you
> considered that those who come after you might
> appreciate the switch to a non-sendmail solution
> more than saving them from staying on security
> branches (which I figure they'll have to do
> anyway)?
>
> Sorry :-)

Don't apologize! I am a big proponent of the best tool for the job. We
run qmail/vpopmail on my toasters, Postfix on a clients machine, and
Sendmail on the MailScanner servers. It all depends on the needs, and
how to best fill them.

With no local delivery, inbound only available, and the MS boxes behind
a PIX, milters are pretty much bullet proof and very stable on Sendmail.
For what we use it for, Sendmail is a good choice.

Plus, the MailScanner developer uses Sendmail, it's good to be in
familiar territory if something goes wacky.

With Sendmail, Postfix, qmail, Exim. I got a 3 in 4 chance of
aggravating the next guy no matter what I choose ;^)

DAve

Veterans?