Dynamic Hostname Assignment With dhcpd

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Mon Nov 20 17:43:50 PST 2006

I am running isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.4_1 on a FBSD 4.11-stable machine.

I have defined a pool of addresses to be used for dhcp address assignment
and configured them correctly in DNS.  Forwards and reverses resolve
properly.

All this seems to work just fine.  You can plug a host into the network
and it will be properly configured for everything *except* the hostname.

(At the moment, I am limiting myself to a FBSD 6.1 (PC-BSD) machine for
testing, but the issue is known to exist on WinXP and other Unices as well.)

After digging around for a couple of hours, I still cannot seem to find
the necessary magic. So ...

Just how do I get a dhcp configured client to pickup the proper hostname
(so that reverses will work properly)? I removed the "hostname=..."
statement from /etc/rc.conf and rebooted the client. When I look at the
kernel environment (with 'kenv') I see no values beginning with
"dhcp...".

Do I need to do something in the server configuration?  Here is the
configuration at the moment:

ddns-update-style ad-hoc;

option domain-name "foo.com";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.22;
option routers 192.168.0.1;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.0.140 192.168.0.159;
     }

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com