link_elf_lookup_symbol:missing symbol hash table

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 20 16:26:21 PST 2006

On Nov 19, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Keith McKenzie wrote:

>> The most unusual thing about my system configuration would be /
>> boot/ loader.conf:
>>
>> geom_vinum_load=YES
>>
>> # either load these here or statically compile into the kernel:
>> # 3/17/2006 dmk
>> #wlan_wep_load="YES"    # used by WEP
>> #wlan_tkip_load="YES"   # used by WPA
>> wlan_ccmp_load="YES"    # used by WPA2
>> wlan_xauth_load="YES"
>> #wlan_acl_load="YES"
>>
>> snd_ich_load=YES
>> hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
>> kern.maxdsiz="2G"
>> kern.dfldsiz="2G"
>> #hw.physmem="2G" # saying this broke things wonderfully, altho true
>> kern.maxssiz="128M"
>> nvidia_load="YES"
>> linux_load="YES"
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Hello David,
>
> I notice you don't have:-
>
> sound_load="YES"
>
> in your loader.conf file !
>
> Could that be causing the missing hash table message ?

A worthy guess, however if one loads a module which depends on
another the dependency is brought in as well. With the above
loader.conf below is the result. Notice sound.ko is loaded altho it
was never specified:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
1   18 0xc0400000 44c9ec   kernel
2    1 0xc084d000 11920    geom_vinum.ko
3    2 0xc085f000 1adb8    linux.ko
4    1 0xc087a000 5f60     snd_ich.ko
5    2 0xc0880000 22b88    sound.ko
6    1 0xc08a3000 6da4     wlan_ccmp.ko
7    1 0xc08aa000 1b88     wlan_xauth.ko
8    1 0xc08ac000 45923c   nvidia.ko
9    1 0xc0d06000 59f20    acpi.ko
10   1 0xc6e71000 2000     green_saver.ko
11   1 0xc6ea8000 2000     rtc.ko
#

Rehashing the problem, "link_elf_lookup_symbol:missing symbol hash
table" appears as practically one of the first console messages
during boot, and often reappears in dmesg and /var/log/messages while
the system is running. And come to think of it this one appears much
less frequently:

hints file version mismatch 790634787

Searching for others with this problem, others have suggested:

# cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints

But diff says both files are identical.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net