PowerEdgeTM 1950

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Nov 18 08:07:56 PST 2006

--On November 18, 2006 11:57:34 AM +0200 ovidiu ene <ovidiue at unixware.ro>
wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I want to know if Dell PowerEdge 1950 works fine on FreeBSD 6.1 i386.
> (I am interested if network cards are detected and work properly, also
> if SATA/SAS drive is detected properly.

There are two problems that you must overcome and they require that you
rebuild world and kernel.  The network card driver has a problem, and the
usb driver has a problem.  The former causes the network card to become
unusable and only a reboot will fix it.  The latter prevents you from
using the DRAC card (if you ordered one with the 1950.)

Both problems can be overcome with newer source code files, but you then
have to rebuild world and kernel.  And you must save those source code
files, because you'll need them every time you have to update world or
kernel due to security patches.

The two files in question are if_bce.c and ehci.c.

if_bce.c

<http://www.ifdnrg.com/freebsd_broadcom_dell_1950.htm>

ehci.c v 1.42:

<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/usb/ehci.c?rev=1.42&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup>

Put this version in place in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb, comment out line 766
and rebuild your kernel and the DRAC5 keyboard will start to work.

The commit note says MFC after 2 weeks, but this seems to have been missed.
I'm going to ping the maintainers and see if I can get it MFCed before 6.2
comes out.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas