deny of x sessions

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 17 12:38:20 PST 2006

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> "Alain G. Fabry" <alainfabry at belgacom.net> writes:
>

>> Thanks, problem is solved. I rebooted in single user mode and then the file could be modified.
>>

> Make sure that the permissions and flags on the file are set so that
> next time you want to change it, you can do so from multiuser mode.
> I don't see any security reason for protecting this file more than
> normal write modes.
    I think that the real problem is that you're missing something with
KDM (settings wise), and it was overwriting the settings each time with
the changes it received while you were operating in multi-user mode with
your account (which should have been no changes, unless you modified
something inadvertently). Try shutting down KDM, this prior to modifying
the file.
    You _really_ don't want to connect to an X session remotely or your
regular user account via telnet. Be sure that you know the security
implications of doing this, before doing it.
-Garrett