FreeBSD 6.1 i386 Installation Questions!

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Nov 16 14:56:10 PST 2006

On Nov 16, 2006, at 2:46 PM, VeeJay wrote:
> Could you guys advise that
>
> 1. What should be the minimum / (Root) Partition Size? (So, I don't
> waste
> lot of space just for Root)

It would help to mention which version of the OS you have:

128MB is probably a reasonable minimum, I tend to use 256MB.

> 2. What should be the minimum /usr Partition Size?

This depends on whether you are installing the ports tree and/or
rebuilding /usr/src to update the OS.
2 GB is probably a reasonable low end, but 4GB would be much better.

> 3. For a FreeBSD Web Server (with mysql), what should be ideal
> BLOCK and
> FRAGMENT sizes?

The defaults are fine, unless you have unusual requirements or huge
(terabyte-size) disk volumes.

> 4. Which shell is best to use and secure? is it BASH or TCSH?

A matter of personal preference.
Note that /bin/sh is not BASH on FreeBSD, but a classic version of
the original Bourne shell.

> 5. Network Confirgruations:
>    a. host is just a machine unique name, to see/access on LAN, right?

The hostname can be relevant over WAN.  Depends on getting your DNS
configured.

>    b. If I don't have a domain name, so what "domain" I should
> give? could
> it be just the ip address?

Some people use hostname.local or hostname.localdomain if they don't
have DNS available.

>    c. can I change the LAN ip address which was given during
> installation
> with WAN ip address when server is up and running with direct
> connection to
> world?

Of course.  Change /etc/rc.conf, or re-run sysinstall.

--
-Chuck