USB mass storage woes

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 13:52:51 PST 2006

Hi

I've just bought a Western Digital 200GB USB hard drive that I would
like to connect to my FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE system. However, when I
connect it I don't get a device which I can mount. I have a 1GB flash
drive that works fine - giving this on the console on connection.

umass0: cnmemory-drive cnmemory, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <cnmemory cnmemory 6.51> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 953MB (1952767 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 953C)

But with the WD drive I see only one line:

umass0: Western Digital External HDD, rev 2.00/6.02, addr 2

camcontrol devlist returns nothing, though camcontrol devlist -v gives:

ash# camcontrol devlist -v
scbus0 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

The SCSI and USB parts of my kernel config are, I think, straight from
the GENERIC:

# SCSI peripherals
device      scbus       # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device      ch      # SCSI media changers
device      da      # Direct Access (disks)
device      sa      # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device      cd      # CD
device      pass        # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device      ses     # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# USB support
device      uhci        # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device      ohci        # OHCI PCI->USB interface
#device      ehci        # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device      usb     # USB Bus (required)
#device     udbp        # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device      ugen        # Generic
device      uhid        # "Human Interface Devices"
device      ukbd        # Keyboard
device      ulpt        # Printer
device      umass       # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device      ums     # Mouse
device      urio        # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device      uscanner    # Scanners

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to get this to work?
--
Chris Hastie