desktop for bsd

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Nov 15 13:06:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 01:28:58AM -0800, Marshall wrote:

> hi,
> I was on the freesbie site and it is a live cd
> version, but i'd like to have a full version, with
> XFCE, is this already in freebsd? I'd like to have it
> as the default desktop. I did see a BSD based OS with
> XFCE as the only desktop, and i'm not sure if it was
> Freesbie, do you know if this is true? I'm new to
> linux and so far I like the XFCE desktop look and it's
> speed, I think because of the Darwin base, it makes
> since for me to have it, as Mac is second to Windows.
> I have tried over 30 different linux versions and most
> are close to each other, and most all use KDE, which
> is ok, but I perfer something faster. Hope I'm making
> since!

I don't know if you can get xfce while running from a live CD
unless whoever made the live CD put it on there.  but, it is
available for FreeBSD, no problem.

Just install the latest FreeBSD on your machine.
Then install xfce from the ports (/usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce).

You will need to configure it and then set up your xinitrc
so it will start xfce when you enter the startx command.
Should work just dandy.

////jerry