Dual core processors

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Tue Nov 14 22:56:19 UTC 2006

I have a server with 6.1 and one dual-core processor and the SMP option
was built in the kernel according to the doc below, but only zeros show
up in the 'C' column of top after I've rebooted with the newly compiled
kernel.

 http://www.freebsddiary.org/smp.php

I did not add APIC_IO as the doc suggested as it complains the option is
invalid, plus I did not do this for my other 5.4 server which shows all
processors in top. Both configs have a device of apic, neither has the
APIC_IO option. However, the other server is running 2 physical CPU's
and I see 0 thru 3 in the C column in top. Also, dmesg shows CPU #1
Launched along with everything else:

esmtp# dmesg|grep CPU
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (3010.67-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Logical CPUs per core: 2
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!

Why would I not see any other CPU numbers under top like I do in my
other server?

--
Robert