Blocking SSH Brute-Force Attacks: What Am I Doing Wrong?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Nov 14 19:58:25 UTC 2006

Leo L. Schwab wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:16:35PM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it: review your config and make some
>> simple choices to reduce the noise, see this article:
>>
>>   http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1876
>>
> 	But I rather thought that was the point of 'bruteblock' -- it
> reduces the noise by blackholing the offending IPs for an hour or so.  This
> blackholing doesn't appear to be happening, and I don't understand why.
>
> 	Could it be a permission problem -- syslog doesn't have permission
> to change the firewall rules?

I wouldn't worry about "bruteblock" - try create a perl script and see
if you can see a system in the attacks: Do the same host come back? If
so does it continue from where it left?

The annoyance of these brute force attacks is that your log is larger
that it would be without them.

That is unless ofcourse you have made yourself vulnerable!

- do you use bad passwords?
- do you allow root login?
- have you disabled system accounts?

If the answers are no, no and yes, then you can largely ignore. For more
on this - read the linked article, read the old thread.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt