MAC OS X connection to FreeBSD?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 14 17:31:33 UTC 2006

David Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:56:17PM -0600, Chuck Remes wrote:
>
>> Also, please recall I said "most software" and not 100% of software.
>> I am certain there are outliers that don't compile cleanly on OSX,
>> but that hardly proves that OSX is not a good UNIX target. The vast
>> majority of software compiles and runs just fine on the latest OSX
>> release.
>>

> Can't say that I find compiling other's applications on MacOS X any
> harder than on FreeBSD (without /usr/ports/ assistance). Only
> disappointment has been trying to run FreeBSD-hosted X11 apps using
> Apple's X11 server. Apple has updated a couple of times since I last
> tried so this isn't an entirely fair comparison.

    Well, I still don't like the fact that the X11 packaged by Apple is
XFree 4.8.xx.. Serious improvements and some security issues have been
addressed since the majority of the XFree86 group moved to X.org.. Yay
for ports / fink though (depending on what you use), cause you can
easily upgrade to X.org 6.9 under fink with after a few steps.
-Garrett