MAC OS X connection to FreeBSD?

Lorin Lund wbs at infowest.com
Tue Nov 14 01:03:10 UTC 2006

>> The biggest problem with MacOS X is that a lot of UNIX software that
>> runs on FreeBSD and such, is not ported to MacOSX, and it's very
>> difficult to compile on MacOSX.
>
> This is completely wrong. Take a look at macports [1] (formerly
> darwinports) for a large repository of UNIX software that compiles
> very cleanly on OSX. It's nearly 7 years since OSX shipped to the
> public. In that time, most opensource software was updated to compile
> cleanly on OSX. The primary changes to allow this were to the
> "configure" scripts so they recognize darwin as a base OS. If other
> patches were necessary, most software maintainers accepted these
> patches back into their trunk.
>
> OSX has excellent support for most UNIX software.
>
> cr
>
> [1] macports.org

In trying to compile A+ (see aplusdev.org) I had a few problems getting
it compiled
for FreeBSD (Because the A+ code was using the wrong macro to identify
FreeBSD)
But my efforts to compile the latest version for OS X.3 PPC have brought
out errors
that look like compiler errors.

In my view porting to the MAC is harder (though I very much wish it weren't)