v6 speed compared to previous versions

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Nov 13 21:26:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:39:16AM -0800, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> When I switched to 6.0, then 6.1, it was noticed by most of my clients
> that my php/mysql/apache system slowed down a fair bit compared to previous
> version (5.XX).
>
> I always like to be on the bleeding edge of FreeBSD, but the performance
> hit is being commented about by my (few) mysql/php clients.
>
> I've seen the "trolls" of past about speed and previous versions, and I
> would really be interested to hear the actual truth about 6.XX speed.
> It is my understanding that 6.XX is more optimized for multi-processors,
> and that for a single processor, 5.XX (or even 4.XX) outperforms 6.XX.
>
> Would someone please outline the choices/drawbacks/concerns of even
> considering going back a series?

6.x is 5.x with performance bottlenecks fixed.  This applies both to
UP and SMP systems.  Therefore it's pretty surprising that you're
seeing a slowdown between 5.x and 6.x, so you should try to look into
exactly why your system seems to be running slower.  Perhaps it's just
a simple misconfiguration, or related to some other change you made at
the same time as you updated.

Kris