using ipfw for NAT mapping in a 1:1 fake:real IPs for VPN

James Bakner lollergate at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 20:13:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a pretty complicated setup currently and am trying to figure out
exactly how to implement it.  I'm pretty unfamiliar with freebsd, the
last incarnation I used was 4.3 and I only used it for a few months
before moving to linux.

I have a VPN setup for an IP range 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.255 for clients
connecting using OpenVPN.

Now I am  handling NAT for these up to 5 IPs.  I have 5 real IPs that
are allocated to the machine that the VPN server runs on (OpenVPN).  I
need each client to have a real and unique IP, although not from the
client's viewpoint.

 From my understanding, I would get OpenVPN to give out IPs
10.0.0.1-10.0.0.5.

I would then set up rather than a standard NAT for like 192.168.0.0/24
through A.B.C.D (single real IP)

I would now set up
nat 10.0.0.1 through A.B.C.D
nat 10.0.0.2 through A.B.C.E etc

Does this make sense and am I missing something?  These would be going
through BSD's tun-type device.

Thanks,

-James