Shutting down as user

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 17:40:21 UTC 2006

> Hi everyone.  I just installed 6.1 on an old laptop, and I am unable to
> shutdown as user.  I get a "permission denied" error message.

Whatever is shutting down the system would either need to be setuid
(chmod u+s), or would need to use sudo (if you have the sudo port and
your user is properly setup in sudoers to issue the shutdown command
or whatever is running).

Some details on which window manager or desktop environment you are
running would help, along with whether or not you are running a
display manager (GDM, KDM, XDM, etc).

Josh