ATA drive TIMEOUT READ_DMA errors since adding power savings

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Nov 13 16:37:38 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 9:57 am, Michael Knoll wrote:

> I added a power down timer on one of my harddrives, and started
> getting READ_DMA and WRITE_DMA timeouts.  Is it possible these are
> occuring becuase the drive is spun down and FreeBSD isn't waiting long
> enough for it to spin up?  Everything else seems to be working.

Yep.

> If that is the problem, is it possible to extend the timeout to
> eliminate these messages clouding my logs?

First, what kind of machine is this?  If anything other than a laptop, be
aware that most harddrives have lifetimes measured in hundreds of thousands
of hours, but a small number of thousand spin-ups.  If your drive is
cycling many times a day, you could get a nasty surprise in a relatively
short amount of time.
--
Kirk Strauser