MAC OS X connection to FreeBSD?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Nov 13 14:38:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 01:28:16AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> No, they used it all as the Darwin core.  Then they took Darwin and
> added their own GUI (used to be called Aqua) and that is MacOSX.

X11 also comes on the MacOS X DVD, but is not installed by default.

> Bear in mind that the MacOS X gui does not translate directly into
> UNIX.  For example, you can load MacOS System 7 files with a separate
> resource and data fork onto MacOSX.  The MacOS X gui handles a lot of
> this kind of stuff.

I lost you there. "So what?" The classic Mac file format is more
advanced than a Unix (or Windows) flat file. The MacOS X Unix view of
such files is morphed into a directory of files. The GUI turns such
directories into a single application icon which *can* be opened to see
what is inside but normally a double-click or open launches the app.

> Apple also doesen't use the UNIX security model.  As near as I can
> tell their core security model is an ACL model not a user/group model.
> Once again this is something that's handled elsewhere.

Don't know how its done underneath but from a shell and ported
applications it looks exactly the same:

dkelly at dot-matrix {767} uname -a
Darwin dot-matrix.local 8.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri Sep  8 17:18:57 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
dkelly at dot-matrix {768} id
uid=503(dkelly) gid=501(dkelly) groups=501(dkelly), 81(appserveradm), 79(appserverusr), 80(admin)
dkelly at dot-matrix {769} who am i
dkelly   ttyp2    Nov 13 08:17
dkelly at dot-matrix {770} ls -ld .
drwxr-xr-x   33 dkelly  dkelly  1122 Nov  1 13:30 .
dkelly at dot-matrix {771}

> The biggest problem with MacOS X is that a lot of UNIX software that
> runs on FreeBSD and such, is not ported to MacOSX, and it's very
> difficult to compile on MacOSX.

Really? Good thing I didn't know compiling was difficult. The other day
I wanted a MacOS X version of mkisofs. Copied cdrtools from
/usr/ports/distfiles/ off a FreeBSD machine. Built without a complaint
in moments. Not terribly thrilled with its default install location of
/opt/schily/bin/ but at least its easy to remove.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net