Nvidia has drivers for FreeBSD (but my xorg is already working)

Damian Wiest dwiest at vailsys.com
Sat Nov 11 01:08:14 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:56:39PM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Mark Jayson Alvarez <markjayson.alvarez at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a Palit GeForce 6500 PCI-E 256Mb/64bit and I'm running x windows.
> >What do I need that NVidia FreeBSD driver for?
>
> 3d

It's also useful for getting all of your other video-out (svideo,
composite, 2nd head, etc.) features working.  Beware though.  NVidia
refuses to release documentation for their cards and forces you to run
binary blobs to get all of the card's features to work.  Also, they
don't offer said blobs for all platforms, so you may get burned.  I've
had the misfortune of wasting my money on one of their cards only to
find that their binary driver is only available for x86.  Until NVidia
decides to provide proper documentation for their cards, I'd avoid them
and go with an ATI product.

-Damian