self-built packages don't always install all files

George Donnelly george at highspeedrails.com
Wed Nov 8 19:00:17 UTC 2006

hi, thanks

i'm building them with make package-recursive

yes they actually contain all the files bc they always install right
at least the first time.

On Nov 8, 2006, at 1:51 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:12:23PM -0500, George Donnelly wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I maintain my own package repository, served over ftp and I am
>> finding
>> that often times a package will not fully get installed on a remote
>> host.
>>
>> For example, if i run pkg_add -r python24 and i know i have just
>> built
>> that port's package and it works, sometimes it will only install a
>> few
>> of the packages files.
>>
>> # pkg_info -L python24-2.4.3_3
>> Information for python24-2.4.3_3:
>>
>> Files:
>> /usr/local/man/man1/python.1.gz
>> /usr/local/man/man1/python2.4.1.gz
>>
>> python24 has hundreds of files it installs, but only these 2
>> really got
>> installed.
>>
>> this also happens with php5-session at times.
>>
>> If i rebuild the package on the package repository host I can ensure
>> 1-3 good remote installs but after that the problem crops up again.
>>
>> This gets problematic when you're updating hundreds of hosts.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this? Found what is causing the problem?
>
> How are you building the packages?  Do the packages actually contain
> more than those two files?
>
> Kris

george donnelly ~ High Speed Rails inc. ~ highspeedrails.com
Managed Open-Source Hosting ~ Plone Hosting ~ Full Support
Y/AIM: highspeedrails ~ 1-800-969-1452 ~ 1-206-774-8566