Questions on first-time installation

Bob Schwartz bob at bschwartz.com
Wed Nov 8 15:47:35 UTC 2006

 >>Be really careful. The windows boot loader should be able to boot a
freebsd install for you.<,

Thank you.

Either one works for me as long as I get full choice. If the windows loader
simply picks up bsd and offers it in addition to the two windows installs
that I need, no problem. Ditto if the bsd boot manager hands me off to the
windows boot manager and gives me both choices.

My concern...and I was going to write the group and ask...is that bsd's
manager only returns one of the windows systems.

What do you think, please?

>> Dell usually ship their machines with a small partition at the front of
the drive (at least, they did last time I received one). That partition is
at an odd offset and didn't agree with the FBSD partition editor: I found
this out the hard way. Things may have changed since then; I usually nuke
the dell partition anyway.<<

They still do...and while I could nuke it, now that I have windows installs
that I don't want to disturb, I am afraid to.

If I leave them there, what, in your experience, happens?

Thanks, jan....

PS  off to have my bangers and mash<g>

Bob Schwartz
This communication, including any attachments or enclosures, may contain
information that is (1) legally privileged, (2) confidential, (3)
proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message, you may not disclose, print, copy or disseminate this information.
If you have received this in error, please reply and notify the sender only
and immediately delete this information beyond recovery if it has been
received into a computer system and also destroy by shredding if it has been
printed on paper. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a violation of
federal criminal law.