php5 issue

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Nov 7 04:49:07 UTC 2006

> I find it kind of weird that people click right through
> `make config' without reading it.

Actually, the apache module was the default until recently.  I
normally set any non-defaut options in pkgtools.conf and keep things
upgraded with portinstall/upgrade.  The change caught me as well.
(BATCH=YES)

Granted the fix was in 20060506 UPDATING, which should be the first
place to go if something goes amiss during an upgrade.  However, there
have been a number of changes to the php family of ports that impacted
people who already had the port installed.  I only wish that when
these types of changes are made to a popular port that the maintainer
would explain the reason for the pain -- due to the quality of the
work done by the port maintainers (excellent, in my opinion) I assume
it was for a good reason -- I just wish I was smart enough to figure
out why or that they would note it, so I could read it and be smarter
for it. <g>

-Jeff