REPOST: Howto use a *local* groff font?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Nov 6 18:24:05 UTC 2006

On 2006-11-06 09:07, Gary Kline <kline at tao.thought.org> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> This roff script is in a directory with ye-olden-English font,
> BlackChancery.  Last Sept, I ran a simple groff script against
> this:
>
>     \f[HR]
>     This is a test line using Helvetica Roman
>     .br
>     \f[BlackChancery]
>     .br
>     This is another line of text in BlackChancery.
>     .br
>
> It should output the first line in Helv; the second in BlackChancery.
> Now, whatever I do, the entire postscript file is in Helvetica.
> gross prints the stderr message: "Can't find 'BlackChancery'. Is
> there a way of fixing this locally?  If not, what exactly  do I
> need to move to the /usr/share/groff_font/devps directory?
>
> Anybody?

I have successfully used AvantGarde-Demi from the enscript font
collection in groff with the following procedure:

    [1] Create a new project directory in `~/tmp/gf':

        % mkdir ~/tmp/gf

    [2] Copy the agd.afm file in `~/tmp/gf/afm/agd.afm'

        % cd ~/tmp/gf
        % mkdir afm/
        % cp /usr/local/share/enscript/afm/agd.afm afm/
        % chmod 0644 afm/*

    [3] Create a devps/ subdirectory for the conversion of the AFM font
        to groff format.

        % mkdir ~/tmp/gf/devps

    [4] Copied the file `textmap' from the groff source distribution,
        to `~/tmp/gf/devps/textmap':

        % cp /usr/src/contrib/groff/fontdevps/generate/textmap \
             ~/tmp/gf/devps/textmap

    [5] Converted the AvantGarde-Demi font from AFM to groff's font
        format, with afmtodit(1):

        % afmtodit afm/agd.afm devps/textmap devps/AvantGarde-Demi

    [6] Started groff with the parameter -F<dir> with <dir> set to the
        parent of the devps directory (in my case `~/tmp/gf'):

        % groff -F~/tmp/gf gary.groff

The output correctly includes a `downloaded' version of AvantGarde-Demi,
and displays correctly.  the `gary.groff' input file I used contained:

    \f[HR]
    This is a test line using Helvetica Roman
    .br
    \f[AvantGarde-Demi]
    .br
    This is another line of text in BlackChancery.
    .br

Hopefully, by following a similar process, you can repeat the same with
your own fonts :)

Regards,
Giorgos