Japanese ISO9660/Joliet and locale = ja_JP.UTF8 problems

文鳥 bunchou at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 5 13:53:08 UTC 2006

Hallo everyone,

I have the following problems when mounting CDs/DVDs containing
Japanese file names which were burned on Japanese Windows XP (SJIS,
Multi-byte extended Joliet). If I mount them normally ("mount -t
iso9660 /cdrom"), file names are garbled (ls shows ?????, etc). If I
mount them using "mount_cd9660 -C SHIFT-JIS", and then pipe the output
from ls through nkf ("ls /cdrom | nkf -Sw"), the file names are
displayed correctly. Naturally, this work-around is not satisfying, and
I would like to keep my locale set to ja_JP.UTF-8. Playing around with
different locales when mounting did not work out either. Does anyone
here know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance