Installing FreeBSD

Peo Nilsson per-olof.nilsson at comhem.se
Sat Nov 4 19:35:20 UTC 2006

Hi list.

I´m running Suse linux 10.0 on my i386.
A couple of years ago I used FreeBSD 5.2
on another computer.

Now I want to dual boot Suse 10.0 and FreeBSD 6.1 Release
using linux grub.

I just can´t get FreeBSD to boot...
I have been trying everything I can think of.

1) installing FreeBSD as stand alone with/without bootloader.
=> Problems with diskgeometry.
   Have tried everything I can think of.

2) Installing Ms Dos 6.1 as the first OS and FreeBSD as the second OS.
=> MS Dos boot fine.
=> FreeBSD didn´t boot, just dumped the registers (I think it is them).

3) Installing Suse 10.0 as the first and FreeBSD as the second OS.
=> Suse boots fine.
=> FreeBSD doesn´t boot, just dumps the registers (I think it is them).

Right now I have Suse 10.0 and FreeBSD 6.1 Release installed on my
(single) harddrive wich is an Western Digital at 80G.
From my BIOS I can´t read how it recognizes the disk geometry.

This is my /boot/grub/menu.lst:

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Nov  4 02:09:30 CET 2006

color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title SUSE LINUX 10.0
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x31a selinux=0
resume=/dev/hda1  splash=silent showopts
    initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
floppy###
title Floppy
    chainloader (fd0)+1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
failsafe###
title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX 10.0
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma
apm=off acpi=off noresume selinux=0 nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3
    initrd /boot/initrd

# Edited by Peo 061104
title FreeBSD 6.1 Release
    root (hd0,2,a)
    kernel /boot/loader
# End /boot/grub/menu.lst

Can anyone give me a hint?

--
/Peo

--
Registered Linux User #432116, get counted at
http://counter.li.org