Athlon64 3200+ make.conf settings

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 3 20:52:25 UTC 2006

On 11/3/06, Eric <heli at mikestammer.com> wrote:
> Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> > On 11/3/06, Eric <heli at mikestammer.com> wrote:
> >> in my /etc/make.conf i have:
> >>
> >> CPUTYPE=athlon64
> >> CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
> >> COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -funroll-loops -ffast-math
> >
> > You only really need CPUTYPE, and set it with "?="
> >
> >> in my kernel config, I have this:
> >>
> >> machine     i386
> >> makeoptions    COPTFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -ffast-math"
> >> cpu     I686_CPU
> >
> > I'd leave makeoptions out
> >
> > My $.02
>

> ok so now i just have this in make.conf
>
> CPUTYPE?=athlon64
>
> that look right?

Yes, very nice :-)

Beware that in some rare cases you might experience
software failures because of CPUTYPE being set.
It's not very clear whether it's worth having a
marginal boost in performance along with some
instability. I usually gamble on performance, but
YMMV.